Thanks to our Life Member and great friend Lindsay Wood we have an extensive written history of our Association.
The Hunter River District Cricket Association (later to be re-named the Maitland and District Cricket Association) was set up in 1894. Prior to that date a strong cricket tradition had already been firmly established in the local Maitland district.
One of the earliest accounts of local cricket appears in an issue of the Maitland Mercury of March 16 1844. A reporter noted that “some admirers of this noble game have lately been playing occasionally in the afternoons in the open space near Mr Honeysett’s windmill, West Maitland”, and indicated that “they were about to form a club”. Honeysett’s flour mill was situated in what is now Elgin Street, West Maitland. It was then known as Windmill Hill and next to the mill was the “open space” and grassy area of land which was to be the ground where the first “organised cricket matches” in the local district were to be played.