Daylight Saving

Daylight Saving2018-07-24T02:51:58+00:00

Association took advantage of the introduction of daylight saving to extend playing times in first and second-grade matches in the 1971-72 season by thirty minutes.

Semi-finals were also introduced within each division of a grade, in place of the play-off between the two leading teams in each division of a grade.

Western Suburbs won the club championship for the first time since the 1957-58 season.

The first-grade premiership and final were won by Eastern Suburbs. GUOOF-City, which finished fourth. contested the final for the first time since its entry in 1968-69. After being 50 behind on the first innings. GUOOF-City made a bold bid for victory in the second innings chasing 198 in two hours but was 7 for 1G7 at the close of play.

Ray Allen (Eastern Suburbs) returned to the top of the batting aggregate and averages with 527 runs at 52.7. Dave Rutherford (Northern District) was the leading wicket-taker with 65 wickets, while Rodney Lawrence (Eastern Suburbs) and Graham Searles (GUOOF-City) also took more than 50 wickets. Darryl Sullivan (Western Suburbs) headed the bowling averages with 42 wickets at 8.2

There were some changes in the representative program. The John Bull Shield competition was conducted in two divisions, with the winner of each division playing in the final. Maitland again entered two teams, but neither made the final which was won by Cessnock.

The Hunter Valley Cricket Council conducted a Knockout competition, sponsored by the Newcastle Morning Herald. Maitland entered two teams - the No. 2 was defeated by Merewether (the eventual winner) in the first round, and the No.1 was defeated by Cessnock in the second round.

The Colts were much more successful and completed the season undefeated to win the RA Dransfield Trophy for the first time.
Peter Rawling toured NZ with the Emu Colts team. David Johnston and Phil Warby (a promising spinner) attended the Country Boys Coaching Class.

David Johnston was also a member of the State CHS team that toured Queensland and scored an impressive century against a NSWCA team.

Rick Allen (son of Ray Allen) and Mark Evans (son of Dave Evans) were chosen in the State primary schools team.

Two promising youngsters to make their debut in first grade at the age of 14 were Craig Evans (son of Dave Evans) with Raymond Terrace and Michael Cox (son of John Cox) with Northern District.

In third grade division 1 SMR (South Maitland Railway) won both the Premiership and final. Two outstanding bowling efforts in this grade were Ross McMahon of Branxton with 92 wickets and Ernie Kembrey (SMR) with 88 wickets.

Maitland's representative teams were very successful, winning all three competitions - the John Bull Shield, the Colts, and the Coal Board Cup. However, they were defeated in the first round of the Hunter Valley Knockout competition by Newcastle University. For the first time for a number of seasons, the inter-Association matches against Newcastle were not played because of the heavy representative program of both Associations.

In trials for Combined Country, David Rawling, Peter Rawling and Rodney Lawrence played for Hunter Valley against Newcastle and were also in the Hunter Valley team that played against North Sydney in the Rothmans Knockout competition -a new competition involving four country Councils and a number of Sydney grade teams.

Peter Rawling was selected in the Emu Colts team that toured western NSW and played a "Test" match against the Tasmanian Colts at Maitland. Peter Rawling and Dave Evans also toured Singapore/Malaysia with an Emu Club team.

For the second time, Phil War by was the Hunter Valley representative at the Country Boys Coaching Class.

Rodney Douglas was selected in the State primary schools team and Craig Evans in the CHS No. 2 team. David Johnston toured Ceylon with an Australian schoolboys team.

During the season Gordon Bell, one of Maitland's great all-rounders in the pre-World War 2 period, died in Sydney at the age of 73.

At the Annual Meeting, Jim Watson and Doug Rawling were made Life Members of the Association. Jim had been appointed third-grade Recorder in 19.5.5- 56, and from 19.59-60 had been sole Recorder for all grades. Doug had become a member of the Board in 1952-53 and was Assistant Secretary in 1962-63 and from 1964-73 - a position that entailed the onerous task of the organisation of representative matches and selections.

Bob Brown, who had served as Vice-President of the MDCA since 1956-57 did not stand for re-election because of health reasons.