Introduction of Semi-Finals

///Introduction of Semi-Finals
Introduction of Semi-Finals2018-07-24T02:32:27+00:00

First time in the Association's history, semi-finals were introduced in the 1970-71 season. The semis were played in all grades on the Saturday and Sunday following the last competition game, with first playing third and second playing fourth. The innovation proved to be popular, with the added incentive being given to the lower placed teams.

In the first grade semis, Northern District (the premiers) played Weston Kurri, and Eastern Suburbs (runners-up) played Raymond Terrace. Both Northern District and Eastern Suburbs advanced to the final with Eastern Suburbs coming out on top, scoring 7-307 to

Northern Districts 142 and 7-152. For Eastern Suburbs Ray Allen scored 97 and Ron Allen 94. For the third consecutive season, Eastern Suburbs won the club championship. In a rain-affected season Terry Finch, who had transferred from Eastern Suburbs to Weston Kurri, was the only batsman in first grade to score 500 runs for the season. Warren Trappel (Northern District) was the leading bowler with 36 wickets, closely followed by Darrell Andrews (Black Hill).

With a number of leading first-grade players, including Colin and Allan Elliott and Glenn Brooker. transferring to Newcastle clubs at the start of the season, concern was again expressed at the "poaching" of Maitland players. A formal protest was registered with the Newcastle DCA and a copy of the letter sent to the NSWCA.

Two new club entries were Yawarra Boys Home and Postal Institute.

Masonite Club had a very successful season winning the premiership in both divisions of third grade.

In third grade division 2, Phillip Porter of Police Boys took all 10 wickets in an innings for 16 runs against Weston Kurri at Weston.

Association introduced an Under 10 competition, in addition to the Under 13 competition. Jack Walsh al '0 conducted a coaching class for coaches.

A sad note was the death of Alan ("Cherry") Allomes, who drowned in a flood in January. For many years he had been the Newcastle Morning Herald representative in Maitland and had regularly attended Board meetings.