Death of Long-Serving Recorder

Death of Long-Serving Recorder2018-07-25T01:16:55+00:00

Magann and Doug Elphick represented Hunter Valley in the Under 23 Colts Carnival at Narrabri, with the first four progressing two steps further to be chosen in the Combined North West/North Coast team.

A shadow was cast over the start of the 1982-83 season with the sudden death of long-serving recorder, Jim ("Mitta") Watson. Jim had been Recorder of the Association for 27 years - a position to which he gave countless hours of his time compiling statistics and writing newspaper reports from the innumerable scoresheets that passed through his hands. As President John Reynolds, later wrote in the Annual Report: "Jim's contribution to the game via the media and his immaculate statistical work is beyond the bounds of explanation and appreciation."


Reg Kelly
For many years Reg Kelly was a familiar identity in Maitland cricket
He was particularly associated with junior cricket and looked after
teams from the Northern District and Police Boys Clubs.
Many a young cricketer received encouragement and advice from
He was also an active umpire and served as Treasurer of the
Maitland District Umpires Association from 1963-75.
In the mid-1970s Reg moved north in his cream campervan to spend
his later years in a warmer climate.
Following his death, the Association learnt that Reg had left a bequest

in his will to be spent for the betterment of junior cricket in Maitland.

The money was invested by the Association and the interest used to help

pay the cost of an annual coaching clinic for
Maitland junior cricketers.
The first of the Reg Kelly Memorial Coaching Clinics were held in the 1981-82 season.
In the early years outside coaches, such as Ross Chapman and Michael Pawley, conducted the clinics.

In recent years the Association has used the services

of local and former local players, such as Michael Cox, Doug Elphick, Robert Humphries,
Glen Murphy and Tony Fort, with State players such as Brad McNamara, Phil Alley

and Steve Waugh being invited to help
with the local clinics.
Former Maitland player Tony Fort, conducting a Reg Kelly
Coaching Clinic in January 1990.


In the district competition Weston Worker, captained by Tom Bell, won the first-grade minor premiership - its first since the war. Weston Worker's pace attack was headed by Brian Clarke and Bruce Mackie, while its two leading batsmen were Neil Fox and Scott Magann.

In the final, however, Weston Workers was defeated by Tenambit-Morpeth, which took out its first major premiership in first grade. A vital fourth wicket partnership between John Richards (78 n.o.) and Geoff Nixon (35 n.o.) carried Tenambit-Morpeth to victory.

Tenambit-Morpeth was also successful in second-grade, winning both the minor and major premierships, while Raymond Terrace won its fourth consecutive third-gradee major premiership. Phil Warby, Northern District's all-rounder with 363 runs and 26 wickets, was named as the District Cricketer of the Year. Neil Fox (Weston Workers) was the leading run-getter in first grade with 626 runs, while Les Vickery (Eastern Suburbs) had his most successful season, heading the bowling aggregate with 67 wickets.

In the club section, Hinton were the club champions, winning the A and C grade division I minor premierships. However, they were defeated in the A grade final by Greta Workers. Jeff Daniels, the Greta Worker's captain, with 801 runs for the season, was named Club Cricketer of the Year.

Maitland's lean run in the Hunter Valley representative competitions continued. The Colts No.2 was the only team to reach the finals and they were defeated by Muswellbrook. Western Suburbs reached the final of the Prudential Cup competition but was beaten by Kincumber-Avoca.

Andrew Adam (capt.), Nick Lutovac, Scott Magann, Jason Horn and Steve Atkins represented Hunter Valley at the Under 24 North West Colts Carnival that was hosted by Maitland. Atkins and Lutovac went on to play for Combined North West/North Coast in the final Country trial that was also played at Maitland. From this match, Atkins made the Combined Country team to play Metropolitan at Gosford - the first such selection for a number of seasons. For his achievement Atkins was named Maitland's Representative Player of the Year - a new award introduced by the Association.

Jason Horn, a promising bowler with City United, was chosen in the Emu Colts team that toured Western Australia. The season saw the merger of the two junior bodies - the Primary Schools and the Junior Associations - to form the Maitland District Junior Cricket Association.

This organisation catered for 59 teams in age groups ranging from Under 10s to Under 16s. Maitland was also the host centre for the Primary Schools State Carnival.

At Raymond Terrace, extensive reconstruction work was carried out by Port Stephens Shire Council to provide two turf wickets at the main oval and a new ground at Fitzgerald Park.

At the Annual Meeting, Tony Keating retired as Secretary and was succeeded by Bruce Humphries. The work of the Recorder and of cricket correspondent in the Mercury was carried on by David Crich.

Ernie Iurd, who had been a member of the Board from 1975-81 and Secretary of the Umpires Association from 1960-83, was made a Life Member of the Association.