Lutovac’s Double Century

Lutovac’s Double Century2018-07-25T01:48:44+00:00

A highlight of the 1984-85 season was a double r1.century scored by Nick Lutovac of City United in a first-grade match at Robins Oval against his former club, Northern District. His 200, including 20 fours and 9 sixes, was scored in just over two hours and helped his side to a total of 6 for 442 - the highest total since 1945. The only previous double century in first grade since 1945 had been John Cox's 201 in 1965.

Ludovic's team, City United, finished the competition rounds undefeated minor premier. Captained by Craig Evans, the team was considerably strengthened by the transfer from other clubs of Terry Walters, Wayne Trappel and Peter Edwards.

However, in an upset result, City United was defeated in the semi-final by Western Suburbs, following a brilliant century by Tony Ellicott and a fine spell of bowling (5-66) by Steve Atkins.

In turn, Western Suburbs was defeated by Eastern Suburbs, which had finished fourth on the points table. Eastern Suburbs passed Western Suburbs' total of 199 with 6 wickets down after a vital partnership between John Warner (53 n.o.) and Paul Golby (49).

Steve Atkins (Western Suburbs), who had returned to the district after a season in Sydney, was the leading bowler in first grade with 51 wickets and was named District Player of the Year.

In the club section, Thornton continued its success by winning the club championship, and the minor and major premierships in A and C4 grades. One of its players, Trevor Randall, with 51 wickets was Club Player of the Year, while another, Jeff Daniels headed the batting aggregate with 546 runs.

After finishing on the top of the point score, Maitland lost the John Bull Shield final to Singleton. However, the Colts, captained by Drew Pannowitz and coached by Les Edwards, a former St. George player, won their competition. During the Christmas/New Year period the Colts also made a three-match tour to Canberra.

The Prudential Cup ended up an "all-Maitland affair" with City United beating Weston Workers in the best of three finals.

Representative Player of the Year was Grae Elphick, a promising all-rounder, who played in the Colts team.

Bruce Whatham, a well known Singleton player who had a season with Weston Workers, represented North West in the Road fast Cup. Scott Magann represented Hunter Valley at the Under 24 Carnival at Narrabri, and Michael Parris from Raymond Terrace attended the Country Boys Coaching Class.

The season saw the introduction of the first Maitland girls cricket competition, with matches on Wednesday afternoons at Mt. Pleasant Street in Under 10 and Open Primary divisions. Another "first" was achieved by Donna Sullivan who had the distinction of being the first female to umpire the first-grade match in the Maitland competition.

One unfortunate episode during the season was what was to become known as the "Fine Cotton Affair". Following the alleged playing of a player in C2 grade under the assumed name of "F.Cotton", a player and his captain were suspended for twelve months. However, an appeal to the NSWCA was upheld much to the dismay and disillusionment of local Association officials.

At the Annual Meeting two more Life Members were added to the Honour Roll - Noel Loss who had served as Secretary from 1963-70; and Dave Rutherford who was a Board member from 1977-84 and had a distinguished career in competition and representative cricket for many seasons.